Monday, June 16, 2008

Impervious to Everything but Bullets...or Are We?

We’ve started the vaccination process, and it was a joy.  I don’t know what is more scary—the fact that the Jungmans can now swim in raw sewage without any ill effect, or the fact that we now have enough live viruses swimming in our blood to make the CDC concerned.  Don’t worry we’re not contagious. 

Lindsey and I traveled to Polk County Health Services on Thursday, the twelfth, to simply get our Yellow Fever vaccinations; that is the only one required for entry into Cameroon.  Upon our arrival, we were given a printout of the recommended vaccines.  It included:  Yellow Fever, Typhoid Fever, Hepatitis A and B, Rabies, Meningitis, Cholera, Influenza, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Measles, Mumps and Rubella.  (I know that’s quite an imposing cocktail, but don’t worry you won’t need all of these if you are planning to visit.)  As we glanced over the list we were quite intimidated but were able to check off several already, and given the current submerged status of our glorious state we figured it was a good idea to get Tetanus anyway.  (I will tell you that through the whole experience I have learned that the future is now my friends.  It’s just like Star Trek when Captain Kirk has come down with some sort of affliction and Bones rushes in and gives him a shot—two seconds later the Shattner is up and moving on his own power again.  All I can say is wow.)  

The Yellow Fever vaccine, required for visits, was a quick shot in the arm.  

It kind of stings, but even Lindsey only squinted.  (She said I clenched my jaw and my eyes started to water, but I swear it was allergies!)  Lindsey did come down with a minor fever on Friday, but other than that all systems are a go. 

Typhoid Fever is a series of 4 pills that are taken one every other day.  We’re on day 2. 

Still, as of now, no side effects.  These pills are pretty painless; the only draw back is that you can’t eat for two hours prior to taking them and for one hour after.  Lindsey barely survives the Typhoid mornings. 

The Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis comes in one concoction and is a shot into the meaty part of your upper arm. 

This of course makes your shoulder sore, but still no lockjaw in this house.

Yet to come will be Meningitis, Hepatitis A, Measles, Mumps, and Rubella.  We already laugh in the face of the likes of Influenza, Hepatitis B and Polio, but most of you should at this point, too. 

One last note:  As you know the Incredible Hulk came out on Friday.  I of course went, and as I was watching I was forced to make some parallels between the hulk and my current situation.  The hulk has blood tainted with gamma radiation, which as you know allows Bruce Banner to become the giant green brawler.  I now have multiple live viruses floating around my innards.  At the time Lindsey was at home with a vaccine-induced fever, and as I was watching the movie I found myself wondering if my wife was in some pupa stage of transformation.  I wonder what I’ll be able to become now.  Careful don’t make me angry. 


2 comments:

Michael Faris said...

Wouldn't it be super cool is lindsey's fever turned her into a superhero? Well, she's already a superhero, but of the Marvel kind?

I am glad I get to keep up with you two via your blog!

Zach W said...

Jeez, Mrs. J, you only cringed and your husband was all "Baah"?